Tuesday, February 2, 2010

PHP IDE: NetBeans 6.8 vs Zend Studio 7.1

Little bit of background: I use Zend Studio since version 5.5 and it was released long time ago, I dont even remember the year :). Main point of sticking with Zend was that I am used to eclipse, how it works & its shortcuts/shortcomings. Its a good IDE although it has its dark sides.

It was "interesting" from Zend that with every new major release you got a worse product, until the first minor releases fixed up the bugs (do they even have QA?). Same was with version 7. I got to the point that even autocompletition wasnt working, indexing was still slow as hell, not to mention "luxury" of debugging ... Was thinking is this really that much better than vi :)

Looked around and installed NetBeans 6.8, because read good things about it. Will try to cover my impressions in order of appearance.

  • Marks svn changeset in editor : it has a green bar beside line numbers that shows changes done to working copy, usefull little feat
  • Fast : indexing is remarkably fast (have I mentioned that I come with Zend Studio background :)
  • Code completition working: shouldnt be that big of a feat, if it was working correctly in Zend Studio 7.1, this is what differs an IDE from a really complicated text editor.
  • Eclipse keymapping as option. pleasant surprise, obviously they have encountered similar people as me :)
  • Search & Replace: more convenient on multiple replace runs on same selection (no direction problems like in Zend Studio), was minor but annoying, who encountered it will know what I talk about :)
  • Syntax checks in HTML/JavaScript are better in Netbeans (spotted quite a few errors made in Zend Studio), especially with non standard markup (like Flexy templates)
  • Double clicking selection of strings sometimes selecting slowly/rarely not selecting/sometimes need multiple double clicks in Netbeans, minor but this is better in Zend Studio
  • PHP source formatting is more customizable in Zend Studio, HTML/JS formatting was better in NetBeans
  • Working debugger in NetBeans (details of setup)

Summary


I am using Netbeans 6.8 as my PHP IDE, have I mentioned that it is free?